CoffeeJitters has moved to coffeejitters.net/blog


Tuesday, September 02, 2008

We Can Do Better Than This

For a couple of hours this weekend a few democratic blogs spewed the same kind of toxic speculations, assumptions, assertions, and lies that Fox "News" reports as news every single day of the year.

Knock it off. We don't need to stoop to their level to reclaim America and our freedom and a viable future from the Republicans.

We need to draw some ground rules - what is appropriate? What goes to far?

McCain has repeatedly mentioned that he wants to address the issue of earmarks in Congress. He has also called Palin a "Cost Cutter." In that light, a close look at Palin's excessive use of Federal earmarks, both as a Mayor and Governor is appropriate.

Palin has been praised for going after corruption in the Republican Party. I think that is just excellent, but it doesn't mean she should get a pass on her own abuses of power both as a Mayor and as the Governor of Alaska.

I'm not going to go on and list everything about Palin that concerns me and why they need to be addressed. There are too many, and that's not the point of this post.

The point is this: there is a line we must not cross.

Sarah Palin's stand on Abstinence Only reproductive information (even for married couples) has been proven to be not only ineffective in reducing teen pregnancies, but actually places young people at a higher risk for acquiring Sexually Transmitted Diseases. This fact does not give us the right to tear apart her 17 year old daughter. I don't care whether she's pregnant or not. She is a minor. She didn't ask for this attention. She is not running for office. She is none of our business.
_________________________________________

Subscribe to CoffeeJitters

Add to Technorati Favoritesadd to kirtsy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here! Here! I whole heartedly agree with you. I couldn't find the right words other than "shut up and leave her alone" but you did...thanks :)
I am not sure who to vote for, but I do know that her daughter will not make a dent in my decision!
Glad to see you back posting! How are you feeling?

Ronda's Rants said...

I agree...Let's leave the kids out of it! Her record speaks for it's self. I do not agree with her politically stand but I would never use her daughter as a political pawn!
Great post and I hope you are feeling well!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

A-men to THAT.

Teri said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Yes, it seems convenient to attack the family, but No, it is not acceptable. I am not in her political camp, but I do agree that there is a justifiable line of no crossing that must be established...if we are to remain a decent society.

must not be blank said...

I don't know a lot about Sarah Palin. I can say I was disappointed with McCain's choice of candidate. I think there are many, many others who were much more qualified for this position.

And while some praise her for going forward with her acceptance of the VP nod, I as a mother feel that this was a bad choice. The press cuts people to shreds regardless of what they are for or against. But to represent conservative Republicans and have an unmarried pregnant teen...I don't understand why you would want to subject your child to that kind of publicity.
The decent thing to do would be to leave Bristol out of all this....but the press, Democrats and comedians are not going to do that. And if it were me...I would have passed on the VP so my daughter could have my grandchild in peace. No job is worth what this poor child is going to have said about her.
But that's just me.

Tricia said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Palin's kids are off limits.

However, with Palin's stance on abstinence only, the media and her opposition are going to use her daughter's pregnancy as "proof" that her idea of sex ed doesn't work. At this point I hope they stop raking the daughter over the coals, and approach this with her dignity in mind. I'm not sure how the issue will play out without pointing to the obvious... abstinence only does not work!

I hate this for her daughter, I don't want to see her made a sacrificial lamb because of her mother's politics. So I think one of the questions becomes how do you address this with such a huge elephant in the room, without actually mentioning the elephant's existence, all while honoring that she's a minor and does not deserve to be man-handled by the media or McCain opponents? It's a fine and delicate line, and I hope it's walked with extreme care!

© Judy Haley. All rights reserved.

Labels