CoffeeJitters has moved to coffeejitters.net/blog


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On eating better

I had the munchies this morning. Real bad.

I went out for a walk and stopped in one of the mom and pop shops to get something to eat. I don't know how long I spent in that store, but I think the guy behind the counter was starting to wonder about me. I spent a huge amount of time looking at the cookies. Wow, there's a lot of cookies out there, even in the Mom and Pops. I looked over the nuts and the chips and I was about to give up when I spotted the apple chips. You see, I'm unofficially officially on a diet - meaning I'm going to watch what I eat and eat less garbage but I'm not going to weigh everything I eat or spend all my brain cells counting fat grams and calories.

Something about the apple chips caught my attention and said "yum" to me. The fact that they came in flavors like cinnamon and caramel certainly didn't hurt anything. And it said right on the package, "A heathier option." Well, if one is healthier than two should surely help me rack up some good fruit and veggie karma. I bought both the cinnamon and carmel flavors and took them back to my little den where I sit and curse my computer, my professors, my %^$& lack of abilitiy to concentrate or string one coherent sentance after another, and anything else I can think of to blame for why I can't seem to get these papers done.

Back to clacking away at these papers and nibbling away at the apple chips as I type. Four hours later, as I'm staring around the room giving my eyes a break from the monitor (I've been at this since 6 this morning) I catch a glimps of the nutritional info on the back of the apple chip bag.

Each bag contained 2.5 single ounce servings. Each serving had 140 calories and 7 grams of fat. So after happily munching away on two bags of apple chips and blissfully thinking I was gonna get some kind of kudos for actually eating an apple, I actually consumed 700 calories and 35 grams of fat. So much for not counting calories or fat grams. At 540 calories and 29 grams of fat, I could have gone ahead and had a Big Mac. Gah! I'm so depressed I might need some chocolate.

1 comment:

mama said...

Pretty disappointing isn't it. Were they better than potato chips? I guess, when you get right down to it, ANYTHING you steep in hot oil is going to be similar.

© Judy Haley. All rights reserved.

Blog Archive

Labels