CoffeeJitters has moved to coffeejitters.net/blog


Friday, August 22, 2008

Serenity

Several months before my Dad passed away, my parents moved from their giant 6 bedroom house with no view to a tiny 2 bedroom apartment with this view.

P1000603

Last August we had a family reunion in this little apartment with Mom, Dad, 5 siblings, 2 spouses and a herd of grandkids. We repeated the reunion in October for Dad's funeral. Both occasions I marveled at this view.

At times I was frustrated that the old giant house was sitting empty waiting for a buyer while we were packed like sardines in this tiny apartment. But mostly I was thankful. I was so thankful that my parents were able to find this little apartment close to the hospital and Dad's work. I was thankful that my parents no longer had to worry about taking care of the old house and that they were not knocking around alone in that big empty space. I was thankful my brothers and I get along well enough we were able to enjoy hanging out in the apartment together. Mostly I was thankful that we even had the opportunity to spend this time together.

Looking at that view reminds me of a time in my life where I was acutely aware of enjoying this moment right now. Not looking forward to something in the future, not happily remembering something from the past. Now.

Savor every moment.
_________________________________________
This is my contribution to Candid Carrie's Friday Foto Finish Fiesta



Previous contributions include:


_________________________________________
Subscribe to CoffeeJitters

Add to Technorati Favoritesadd to kirtsy

23 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

Thank you for sharing...and reminding me of something very important. It is a great lesson for me for today and the start of each and every day.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry about your dad. What you say is so true--and that is a beautiful view!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing! The view is beautiful and so is family!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

So pretty - thanks for sharing.

Lori said...

That view is breathtaking, as is your post.

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Wish we had a view like they. They must of enjoyed looking out on that! Thanks for sharing and much love.

T said...

What a view! I'm glad it's a great memory for you!

A New Yorker said...

Sorry to learn about your dad. Nice view though. Must have been nice for him.

Sunshine said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. Glad you got to share him and that view with us. (hugs)

Susie said...

I love your "live in the moment" message. Thanks for the reminder and the beautiful pictures:-)

Nik said...

What a beautiful view!

And your inspriational story touched my heart. Thanks for reminding me what really matters.

Sydney said...

Great picture, and great memories. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Beautiful view and beautiful post. Don't you love what memories/feelings a picture like this invokes?!

Frizzy said...

Thank you for sharing such an intimate moment/memory with us. As always you have touched my heart and reminded me of what is important. Thank you.

Hippie Family... said...

that is so pretty.. I miss my dad too, I was thinking about him just a little bit ago when my daughter made a face and I saw him there..

Unknown said...

Beautiful post and view...

Such true words...

Mamahut said...

Very nice view...I'm glad that you had that time.

Teri said...

Such a special memory. And indeed a spectacular view. I'm glad you all had the opportunity to share this with your Dad while he was still here. Take care.

Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing that memory. My dad passed Feb 2006. He had Alzheimer's disease but physically was very healthy. Then suddenly he had an aorta aneurysm and was going in 48 hours.

Treasure every day with your family and friends and focus on your new baby

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

THAT...is a gorgeous view!

And I loved your "runaway" story over on my blog. Your mother's idea for the PB&J was ingenious!

Aunt Julie said...

It's always great to have a Room With a View. And comforting, too, to know that your folks could look at this gorgeous landscape all day long!

must not be blank said...

I want to move to where you are--where ever that is, it is glorious!

Beautiful picture and beautiful story.

no one said...

My family had the opposite happen - my mom moved to a smaller house after my dad died. Her old house had a really nice view - the new one - not so nice. But it is easier for her to take care of.

© Judy Haley. All rights reserved.

Labels